Scaling of the teeth is a non-surgical procedure performed to clean and remove plaque and tartar from the teeth. This procedure is one of the most commonly performed dental treatments to prevent other gum diseases.
Plaque is a thin, yellow or white layer that adheres to the teeth. Plaque forms when bacteria mix with food residues left in the mouth, especially food containing sugar and flour. If left untreated, plaque hardens and mixes with saliva, leading to the formation of dental tartar. Plaque and dental tartar contain millions of bacteria, and if not regularly cleaned, they can lead to periodontitis or gum-supporting diseases, tooth decay, or even tooth loss.
Plaque and dental tartar are challenging to remove with regular brushing, so they require special tools and actions through a dental scaling procedure. In addition to cleaning plaque and dental tartar, dental scaling is also beneficial for:
- Reducing excessive acid and enzymes produced by mouth bacteria that can cause tissue damage.
- Reducing the risk of sudden bleeding or tissue swelling due to the body's immune response to bacteria on plaque.
- Preventing periodontitis.
- Maintaining dental and gum-supporting bone health (periodontitis).
The Dental Scaling Procedure
The steps performed by the dentist during the dental scaling procedure include:
- The dentist prepares tools and materials for scaling.
- The patient is instructed to rinse their mouth with betadine.
- The dentist begins the process of removing dental tartar using a scaler with ultrasonic waves that vibrate and remove plaque and dental tartar. This tool can also release cold mist from water to clean any remaining plaque and dental tartar to reduce tooth sensitivity.
- After cleaning the plaque and tartar around the teeth, the dentist will use a manual scaler.
- During the process of cleaning plaque and dental tartar, the dentist will ask the patient to rinse and spit to remove any remaining plaque in the mouth.
- The final step involves polishing the cleaned teeth with a polishing tool that has a soft rubber tip.
Dental scaling can be completed in a single session lasting 30-120 minutes, depending on the condition and amount of plaque and dental tartar.
After Dental Scaling
Patients are allowed to go home after the dental scaling procedure. The dentist will advise patients not to consume hot or cold foods and drinks immediately after scaling. Additionally, the dentist will schedule a follow-up appointment to check the condition of the patient's mouth and gums to ensure complete healing.
Patients can also take several steps to care for their teeth and reduce the risk of plaque formation, including:
- Brushing teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, can help repair damaged tooth enamel.
- Replace your toothbrush if the bristles are worn out.
- Use dental floss to remove plaque between teeth and prevent tartar buildup in hard-to-reach areas.
- Consult with a dentist about using antiseptic mouthwash to help eliminate plaque-causing bacteria.
- Consume a healthy diet and reduce the consumption of sugary and starchy foods.
- Quit smoking.
Undergo regular dental check-ups at least every 6 months to clean plaque and prevent the risk of dental or gum diseases. Scaling can be performed at Circle Dental Bali, which has branches in Nusa Dua and Gianyar. Circle Dental Bali provides an extraoral vacuum to remove aerosols in the air, preventing cross-infections. They offer various dental services by experienced dentists.
For more information, please visit https://circledentalbali.com/ or contact us via WhatsApp at +6287771514466 (Nusa Dua) and +62816670606 (Gianyar).